- Language and performance enhancements to natively compiled T-SQL modules, including support for OPENJSON, FOR JSON, JSON built ins as well as memory-optimized tables support for computed columns.
- Improved the performance of updates to non-clustered columnstore indexes in the case when the row is in the delta store.
- Batch mode queries now support “memory grant feedback loops,” which learn from memory used during query execution and adjusts on subsequent query executions; this can allow more queries to run on -systems that are otherwise blocking on memory.
- New T-SQL language features:
- Introducing three new string functions: TRIM, CONCAT_WS, and TRANSLATE
- BULK IMPORT supports CSV format and Azure Blob Storage as file source
- STRING_AGG supports WITHIN GROUP (ORDER BY)s